Monday, March 26, 2007

Why should be we do about the war?

I always wonder what the title of an article will generate. I can assume that some folks are looking for blogs and articles on the war in Iraq and may respond to this. And I also am sure that no matter what I say here, there will be someone who will disagree, but that makes our nation interesting. So let me begin by saying that I have no answers to that question. I wish I did.

I have been corresponding with a friend of mine who is a Viet Nam veteran and his brother as well as some other friends about the current world situation. Politicians seem to have all of the answers or at least it seems to me that they want everyone to think they are right. Some question whether or not the motives for going to war were pure. I think that is a waste of time. As has been said before, hind sight is usually 20/20.

I don't know why we are in the current situation. I know the answers that Washington gives and I know the answers that come across my desk every day. I suppose to find the answer, we really need to go back about 3,000 years. We are being drawn into an age old conflict and I think we will, unfortunately, remain in that situation for a long time.

So here is what I propose: I think every Christian in America and around the world should do exactly what Jesus taught us to do - Let's spend the next month, praying for our enemies. And no, I am not suggesting that we pray for their destruction as some of the Psalmist have suggested.

Jesus never was very clear about what he meant when he said to pray for our enemies except that to pray for them and do good to them, would be like heaping coals of fire upon their heads. I am not sure all that Jesus meant but I suspect he did not mean for us to actually heap coals of fire. Rather, he meant for us to take a different approach to being persecuted. He chose the hardest path of all and asks us to do the same.

There are some things that Jesus said that I am not sure I like and much that he said that I still don't understand - like praying for our enemies. So here goes. "Lord, you asked each of us to do as you did. You asked us to pray for and extend love to our enemies. I don't know what that means. So, I am praying that your Holy Spirit will intervene on my behalf and for the sake of all of your people. Give our enemies and our own leaders, the will and the ability to find a creative, non-violent plan to resolve our differences. I pray that all troops will get to be home soon and that the killing will stop everywhere. I offer this prayer in the spirit of Jesus. Amen"

Okay, some of you will say that I am naive and if I am then so be it. I just want to follow Jesus and I think that means the path is going to be very rocky. Right now, it is terrible. Well, that's my thought, what's yours? Allen

1 comment:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

I am a 2 tour Vietnam Veteran who recently retired after 36 years of working in the Defense Industrial Complex on many of the weapons systems being used by our forces as we speak.

Politicians make no difference.

We have bought into the Military Industrial Complex (MIC). If you would like to read how this happens please see:

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/03/spyagency200703

Through a combination of public apathy and threats by the MIC we have let the SYSTEM get too large. It is now a SYSTEMIC problem and the SYSTEM is out of control. Government and industry are merging and that is very dangerous.

There is no conspiracy. The SYSTEM has gotten so big that those who make it up and run it day to day in industry and government simply are perpetuating their existance.

The politicians rely on them for details and recommendations because they cannot possibly grasp the nuances of the environment and the BIG SYSTEM.

So, the system has to go bust and then be re-scaled, fixed and re-designed to run efficiently and prudently, just like any other big machine that runs poorly or becomes obsolete or dangerous.

This situation will right itself through trauma. I see a government ENRON on the horizon, with an associated house cleaning.

The next president will come and go along with his appointees and politicos. The event to watch is the collapse of the MIC.

For more details see:

http://www.rosecoveredglasses.blogspot.com